So yesterday I mentioned that one of my favourite Smells is Gingerbread at Christmas time, So it’s no surprise that my favourite recipe would be Gingerbread.
So today I wanted to share my recipe for the perfect little Gingerbread Men.
What your going to need:
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp teaspoon nutmeg
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup (optional) – Ive found that if you haven’t got any golden syrup then it hasn’t ruined the recipe!
What to do:
- First things First, Dont forget to turn that oven on and Preheat to 180, Im terrabile at forgetting to turn the oven on, make sure that the oven has plenty of time to warm up, or your little ginger men will be too soft! Once thats done, line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Now to get started with the ingredients, In a large bowl combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the spices. Mix those together, so they are evenly spread, but dont worry to much because your be mixing these again shortly!
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat, make sure your continuously stirring and stir until the sugar dissolves, Once you’re sure you have a smooth looking mixture then add it to the dry ingredients you prepared earlier! Stir in until it forms a tough looking dough.
- Time for the fun bit, sprinkle some of your plain flower lightly on a clear kitchen surface, and place your dough on top. Roll this out flat but with about a 5mm thickness for a nice Biscuit. Cut out as many ginger bread characters as you like, I would say gingerbread men, but you could have gingerbread snowmen, rudolphs, stars, or anything!. Transfer these to the paper thats led out on your baking tray.
- Place these in your oven for about 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Keep an eye, and dont do my trick of forgetting there cooking till black.
- Leave to cool on the sheet for a few minutes – if you want to hang them as decorations, now is the time to pierce a hole through the top of each with a skewer – then move to a wire rack.
- Once completely cooled down, its your choice, ice the gingerbread men and decorate with sprinkles, sweets and edible glitter or what ever you fancy.
These go nicely with a nice hot choc!
So If you’ve had a go Id love to see pictures of your Gingerbread, so leave me a message through my facebook page here.